Skip to main content

Rollercoasters

Some rollercoasters have a lot of twist and turns. Some have higher highs that are followed by those sudden drops that make you feel like you can't breath. Others have the crazy loops that turn you upside down and have you holding on with every bit of strength you have. Life is a rollercoaster.

My life has been one of the crazier ones. The kind of rollercoaster that has the rider hoping that the end is near but not quite ready to bail out by themselves. Occassionally, I even hope that one of the mechanics will inform me that there is systemic rust and there is nothing we can do except wait for the rollercoaster to completely shut itself down. Surprisingly, today is not one of those days.

For most of my life, I have tried pretending to be something I am not. What that something is has changed a few times to suit the people in my life. I thought that if I acted a certain way and said the right things, that someone would finally love me unconditionally. Unfortunately, I was not able to keep up the act long enough. Eventually the real me would slip out and the person I was with would stop loving me. When I got divorced 4 years ago, I decided that I was going to be 100% authentically me and people were either going to love me or they weren't. 

10 months ago, I met the man I thought might just be "the one". He is kind, caring and considerate. He is smart, funny and supportive. He made me feel wanted. He made me feel loved. He made me feel like maybe being broken didn't make me unloveable. I was genuinely me and he'd continue to stay in my life anyway. I shared my darkest fears and my deepest thoughts with him. I thought I had finally discovered what a healthy, loving relationship was supposed to look like.  

As we spent more time with each other, more of our quirks surfaced. I loved him a little more because of his. He loved me a little less because of mine. But I didn't know that then. I was blinded by the fact that I was in love with a good, kind man. And even though so many people had rejected me over the years, he hadn't. Yet.

My friends tell me that I placed him on a pedestal; that I couldn't see his flaws. They are wrong. I could see them. All of them. But he saw mine too. And isn't part of unconditional love embracing people's flaws. He was not perfect but he was perfect for me. I thought our strengths and weaknesses complimented each other. However, it turns out that he did not think I was perfect for him.

We tried to remain friends after the breakup. I am friends with almost all of my exes. For those that I am not friends with still, it is just because we lost touch over time. But I couldn't stay friends with this man. I couldn't see him or talk to him without my heart bursting with love again. Even toward the end, when he said some things that really hurt me, I couldn't stay mad at him because he was just being honest with me.

The other day I realized I can't be friends with him. When I told him, he said he understood. And in that moment, I was glad that we weren't face to face because I definitely needed a minute to gather myself before responding. I had such a visceral response to him saying that. After a moment, I calmly replied:

"I don't think you do but it doesn't really matter. Whether you understand or not, won't change how much I hate you for not being able to love me."

It was in that moment that I realized the reason why this break up hurt so much more than the rest. It was the first time in my adult life that someone I loved rejected me. The real me, not the fake front I had been putting on.

In my life, I have made a lot of hard choices and I have made a lot of mistakes. But I never really had regrets until now. I regret sharing my true self with him. I regret bearing my soul to him. I regret giving him the power to hurt me. He broke my heart in a way it hasn't been broken in a long time. And I let him to do. Honestly, I probably helped him do it. I am not sure how I will ever really let anyone into my life the way I let him in. I am not sure I trust my own judgement enough to know which people are worthy of that kind of love. But I am working to figure that out.

Every day is the scariest of rollercoaster rides when the person you love is the same person that you hate with every fiber of your being. But I have gotten used to the crazy ride I call my life. So each day I get up, check the dating apps, message a friend or two, get out of bed and start my day. And I will keep doing this for as long as I can.

A friend asked me recently why I started dating again right away. She wanted to know how I could admit to still loving him and at the same time put myself out there to try to connect with someone else. Here is my answer:

I have a big heart. It is big enough to love a whole lot of people. Right now my heart is bleeding but it is also mending. I am genuinely afraid that if I wait too long, it will not only be completely healed, but the walls will be put back up, and no one will ever find there way in again. Instead, I choose to keep moving forward. To keep looking for someone that can love me the way that I love other people; unconditionally. 

I gave him the power to hurt me. But I won't give him the power to keep me from finding someone who could love me the way he wasn't able to.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Month Flies By

Mr. Perfect-for-me came into my life and made me realize where all those metaphors, analogies & similes for love came from. I was struck by cupid’s arrow. I have absolutely fallen head over heels. He swept me off my feet. He is my other half, my better half. I could go on and on but I’m sure you get the idea. I don’t want anyone to think that I somehow made it to 41 years of age and got married twice without ever being in love. I have most definitely been in love before. This love feels different. Although the bible would usually be one of the last books that I would quote, I think it captured these last 2 months almost perfectly. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.  ~1 Corinthians 13:4–8a (ESV) After just 2

Attraction

Attraction is a complicated thing for me. Normally, I meet someone and as I get to know them, I find them more and more attractive. Because of this, I have dated all over the looks spectrum. Tall, short, big, small, dark, light, male, female, younger, older, etc. Maybe a handful of times, i have looked at someone that is so physically attractive to me, that I find myself staring.  More often than not, I date men. The reason for this is partially because of where I live. Another reason is that I find confidence very attractive and there is nothing more intimidating to me than a confident a woman.  The other night I was out at karaoke with friends. I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I immediately turned my head in her direction to see what exactly caught my eye. I can't even begin to tell you what was being talked about at our table at that moment because all I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I spent the rest of the evening trying not to stare. I tried to pay att

One Year Ago

One year ago you came into my life. You were everything I thought I wanted. But I wasn't what you wanted. Unfortunately, it took you 5 months to tell me and another 4 to get out of my life. I kept hoping that your heart would change your mind.  How naive was I to think someone like you could possibly love someone like me?  How did I make it to 42 years old still believing in unconditional love? How did I make it through 2 divorces still believing in forever love? How did I survive 3.5 years of being used by strangers and still believe that someone could possibly want more from me than sex? Maybe those questions don't even matter. Maybe the better question is if I ever stop loving you, will I still be able to believe in unconditional, forever love. This morning, I woke up thinking of you. Throughout the day, you were never far from my mind. I know I'll still be thinking about you when I fall asleep tonight.  That's how it has been for the last week. Watching today coming