Skip to main content

The Here and Now

The last few weeks have been a real eye opener about something that really challenges me: living in the here and now. I worry about the past repeating itself. I hope for an amazing future. But I cannot seem to just live today and be happy for what it is now. Most people who know me, think that I am either realistic or pessimistic. I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being overly optimistic.

Since meeting Mr. Perfect-for-Me, that has changed. I began to imagine my world getting brighter because I had figured out how to love again. I began to feel less alone and more accepted by someone than I ever have before. Then, I began to imagine what our future might hold. That wasn't my first mistake and it most certainly won't be my last. If nothing else, there is one constant in my life; I make a lot of mistakes.

Feeling this way and thinking this way, gave me the unrealistic expectation that maybe I had found someone I could spend a lifetime with. I forgot to consider whether it was what he wanted. I forgot to be realistic about my expectations for today because I was drunk on my imagined future.

Then I made another mistake. I confidently shared with him that I could imagine a forever with him. His response was honest and realistic. I wouldn't expect anything less from him. I let my hopes of the future color my judgement for today. So, when he said that he wasn't sure how long we'd last or how things would work out, it broke a small piece of my heart off. He admitted that he wasn't sure what the future held for us but he was open to whatever developed between us. 

In that moment, I realized that we were no where near the same place. He has said that he loved me. He has said that he really likes spending time with me. He asked me to be his girlfriend and we agreed we both wanted monogamy. He made those statements clearly. But somehow I felt like he was on the same page as me. Be he's not. He is in the here and now. I don't think that he can imagine a future with me at this point. I don't know what to do with that.

How do I convince myself to slow down and let him take the lead? How do I accept that we aren't in the same place? How do I live in the here and now? How do I learn to just enjoy today? How do I talk myself into backing down so that I don't completely push him away?

I don't know the right thing to do here is. But I hope that I can figure it out soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attraction

Attraction is a complicated thing for me. Normally, I meet someone and as I get to know them, I find them more and more attractive. Because of this, I have dated all over the looks spectrum. Tall, short, big, small, dark, light, male, female, younger, older, etc. Maybe a handful of times, i have looked at someone that is so physically attractive to me, that I find myself staring.  More often than not, I date men. The reason for this is partially because of where I live. Another reason is that I find confidence very attractive and there is nothing more intimidating to me than a confident a woman.  The other night I was out at karaoke with friends. I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I immediately turned my head in her direction to see what exactly caught my eye. I can't even begin to tell you what was being talked about at our table at that moment because all I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I spent the rest of the evening trying not to stare. I tried to pa...

Three Months

 Another month has flown by. This time it was a bit of a rollercoaster for me. I have had some things going on in my life that have had me frazzled. When frazzled, I tend to unravel a bit and sometimes I unravel a lot. Life had been lobbing lemons at me for awhile now. That isn’t news to anyone that knows me well. Sometimes instead of lobbing them, they load them into a pitching machine and aim it directly at my head. Last month, a particularly juicy lemon was sent speeding my way. I tried to catch it. I tried to block it. I tried getting out of the way. Unfortunately, it hit me square in the head and I have spent the last couple weeks reeling. Mr. Perfect-for-me has been amazing through it all. He listens to me talk (almost non-stop) as I process everything. And more importantly, when I’m overwhelmed with emotions and can’t talk, he just holds me while I hurt. He doesn’t give me advice unless I ask for it. He doesn’t make useless suggestions like “just stop worrying.” He is patien...