Skip to main content

A Willingness to Grow

At 41 years of age, I haven’t really had that many relationships. I have spent a lot of my adult life married. As someone who has been divorced twice, I wouldn’t even think of suggesting that I have any real concrete advice for people about relationships.

What I can speak on, is knowing how to reflect on my past experiences, learn from them, and move forward to the next one. Sometimes people come into our lives for a short time. Sometimes they stay a long time. Occasionally you get lucky, and they stay forever. Being self-reflective, self-aware, and willing to change, are key to growing as a human being. If you aren’t willing to be all those things, then there is a high likelihood that you will move from one bad relationship to the next.

What I have learned over the years is that, if I don’t feel comfortable enough with someone to be completely open from the beginning, eventually I will be unhappy. I am a worrier. I overthink and tend to hesitate to communicate my own needs. I don’t want to be a bother to others. I am afraid that if it takes any amount of effort to be with me, then people will leave.

A few months ago, I decided that I was just going to be as honest and authentically me as I could muster. The next person I met was either going to love me or hate me. No more pretending to be something I’m not. No more apologizing for being me. Being vulnerable with a stranger is one of the hardest things I have ever done. But now that I have started, I can’t imagine how I will ever stop. The freedom to just be me feels so amazing. And to be accepted so completely makes me feel light as a feather.

I’m far from perfect. I struggle sometimes with the tougher stuff. I still stew a little too long on things because of my deep fear of being rejected. But I am going to continue to strive to be more upfront about my thoughts/feelings. People are going to love me for who I am, or they are going to find themselves out of my life. It feels good to finally be ok with that.

I am beyond lucky to have met someone that encourages me to share with him. And he shares with me. Communication is a two-way street, and we are both embracing it as much as possible. I don’t know if our connection is so strong because our communication is, or if our strong connection makes the communication easier. Honestly, it doesn’t really matter. It just feels good to have both.

The other night we had a conversation that was hard for me. I had been stewing about something and it caused me to have trouble sleeping. Just 10-15 minutes after falling asleep, I awoke in a panic. It took me a few minutes to pull myself together. He asked me if I was ok. I rambled for a bit, and then he confessed that he didn’t understand what I was trying to say. So, I took a few deep breathes and began again but, this time, at the place where my anxiety really started.

Even as I tried to share all my thoughts and feelings, I was still afraid to be totally honest. We talked about what was upsetting me but what I really wanted to say was that my heart was bursting at the seams. How do you tell someone that you have only known for a very short time that you have somehow fallen head over heels in love with them? How do you express that they have turned your world upside down in the most beautiful way? How do you lay your fragile heart at their feet and have faith that they won’t break it?

Apparently, my dancing around the topic was more obvious than I thought. Because he beat me to it. And I am glad he did. I don’t know that I was ever going to get those words out. I don’t know if my heart can handle another break. Of course, never telling him wouldn’t save me the heartache if things don’t work out. My baggage was just weighing me down.

Almost everyone in my life has been telling me to slow down. They want me to put up my guard, to protect my heart. But that hasn’t worked out for me in the past. I knew my ex-wife for several years before we dated, and I still always left a few guards up. I left even more guards up with my ex-husband and even though that lasted a bit longer, it didn’t last. I can only pretend to be what they want for so long. I need to be free to be me. If am a not going to freely give my love, then my mind isn’t open either. For me, those 2 things are wired together. When one opens, so does the other.

I have done a lot of thinking about this over the last few weeks. From the moment that I met Mr. Perfect-for-Me, I have felt more like myself than I ever have with anyone else. Whether this lasts 2 months, 2 years, 2 decades or the rest of our lives, I am going to strive to enjoy every minute of it without worrying about the possibility of future heartache. We are going to move at a pace that works best for us and not worry about the rest of the world.

 

~Happy 1st Monthiversary to My Love~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Month Flies By

Mr. Perfect-for-me came into my life and made me realize where all those metaphors, analogies & similes for love came from. I was struck by cupid’s arrow. I have absolutely fallen head over heels. He swept me off my feet. He is my other half, my better half. I could go on and on but I’m sure you get the idea. I don’t want anyone to think that I somehow made it to 41 years of age and got married twice without ever being in love. I have most definitely been in love before. This love feels different. Although the bible would usually be one of the last books that I would quote, I think it captured these last 2 months almost perfectly. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.  ~1 Corinthians 13:4–8a (ESV) After just 2

Attraction

Attraction is a complicated thing for me. Normally, I meet someone and as I get to know them, I find them more and more attractive. Because of this, I have dated all over the looks spectrum. Tall, short, big, small, dark, light, male, female, younger, older, etc. Maybe a handful of times, i have looked at someone that is so physically attractive to me, that I find myself staring.  More often than not, I date men. The reason for this is partially because of where I live. Another reason is that I find confidence very attractive and there is nothing more intimidating to me than a confident a woman.  The other night I was out at karaoke with friends. I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I immediately turned my head in her direction to see what exactly caught my eye. I can't even begin to tell you what was being talked about at our table at that moment because all I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I spent the rest of the evening trying not to stare. I tried to pay att

One Year Ago

One year ago you came into my life. You were everything I thought I wanted. But I wasn't what you wanted. Unfortunately, it took you 5 months to tell me and another 4 to get out of my life. I kept hoping that your heart would change your mind.  How naive was I to think someone like you could possibly love someone like me?  How did I make it to 42 years old still believing in unconditional love? How did I make it through 2 divorces still believing in forever love? How did I survive 3.5 years of being used by strangers and still believe that someone could possibly want more from me than sex? Maybe those questions don't even matter. Maybe the better question is if I ever stop loving you, will I still be able to believe in unconditional, forever love. This morning, I woke up thinking of you. Throughout the day, you were never far from my mind. I know I'll still be thinking about you when I fall asleep tonight.  That's how it has been for the last week. Watching today coming