Skip to main content

Letting Go of Hope: A Gift Only I Can Give Myself

The thing about hope, is that it keeps us moving forward. The problem with hope, is that it can also keep us stuck in a pattern of bad choices. We hope things will change. We hope things will get better. We hope and we are disappointed. We hope and we are disappointed. We hope and we are disappointed.

The key is to hold onto the hope that compels us forward and let go of the hope that keeps us stuck. I am not sure how to do this yet but this article gives instructions for how to do it. Tonight, I am working on the first part: Write out a list of what you wish was different. Then one by one, repeat, "(S)he will never..."


He will never make me a priority in his life.

He will never make time for me.

He will never take me into consideration when making decisions.

He will never introduce me to his friends.

He will never put any effort into our relationship.

He will never want more than just my body.

He will never care how much he hurts me.

He will never love me the way that I love him.

He will never really know how it feels to be loved completely.


The second part is to repeat this list over and over again to yourself until you believe it. As I typed up this list, intellectually I know it is all true. But I also know that my heart still hopes its not. So, I am going to have to read through this often. It is going to take me time to believe it. And when I finally start to believe it, then it will be time to move on to the next steps.

I just hope that I can let go of hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attraction

Attraction is a complicated thing for me. Normally, I meet someone and as I get to know them, I find them more and more attractive. Because of this, I have dated all over the looks spectrum. Tall, short, big, small, dark, light, male, female, younger, older, etc. Maybe a handful of times, i have looked at someone that is so physically attractive to me, that I find myself staring.  More often than not, I date men. The reason for this is partially because of where I live. Another reason is that I find confidence very attractive and there is nothing more intimidating to me than a confident a woman.  The other night I was out at karaoke with friends. I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I immediately turned my head in her direction to see what exactly caught my eye. I can't even begin to tell you what was being talked about at our table at that moment because all I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I spent the rest of the evening trying not to stare. I tried to pa...

The Here and Now

The last few weeks have been a real eye opener about something that really challenges me: living in the here and now. I worry about the past repeating itself. I hope for an amazing future. But I cannot seem to just live today and be happy for what it is now. Most people who know me, think that I am either realistic or pessimistic. I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being overly optimistic. Since meeting Mr. Perfect-for-Me, that has changed. I began to imagine my world getting brighter because I had figured out how to love again. I began to feel less alone and more accepted by someone than I ever have before. Then, I began to imagine what our future might hold. That wasn't my first mistake and it most certainly won't be my last. If nothing else, there is one constant in my life; I make a lot of mistakes. Feeling this way and thinking this way, gave me the unrealistic expectation that maybe I had found someone I could spend a lifetime with. I forgot to consider wheth...

Three Months

 Another month has flown by. This time it was a bit of a rollercoaster for me. I have had some things going on in my life that have had me frazzled. When frazzled, I tend to unravel a bit and sometimes I unravel a lot. Life had been lobbing lemons at me for awhile now. That isn’t news to anyone that knows me well. Sometimes instead of lobbing them, they load them into a pitching machine and aim it directly at my head. Last month, a particularly juicy lemon was sent speeding my way. I tried to catch it. I tried to block it. I tried getting out of the way. Unfortunately, it hit me square in the head and I have spent the last couple weeks reeling. Mr. Perfect-for-me has been amazing through it all. He listens to me talk (almost non-stop) as I process everything. And more importantly, when I’m overwhelmed with emotions and can’t talk, he just holds me while I hurt. He doesn’t give me advice unless I ask for it. He doesn’t make useless suggestions like “just stop worrying.” He is patien...