Skip to main content

Missed Connections

Throughout my life, people have come and gone. Some people have stayed for just a few hours and others for years. I think this is common for all people. I've heard people tell stories about a stranger they met that said just the right thing at the right time and it changed them forever.

How long someone is in our life doesn't dictate how big of an impact they will have on us. It certainly doesn't determine how we will feel about them.

I have been accused on more than one occasion of caring too much for people too quickly. I put that in the box I label, "Thanks for stating the obvious." This particular trait has been a curse and a blessing in my life. It helps me to "walk in someone else's shoes" and to understand them on a deeper level. It also means that I care deeply about people as soon as a connection is made.

Over the last year and a half, I moved out of my ex-husbands house, moved into a friend's basement, moved into my own tiny apartment, and then purchased my own home and moved there. Around all this moving, I started a new job, went through a divorce, took college classes, and went on a lot of dates. I tried to keep my life very busy so that I never really had time to think too long about anything.

I am my own enemy when I am alone. When I am with others, I gather ammunition to use against myself when I am alone. Staying too busy to think, was my defense against this ongoing battle with myself. However, staying too busy has also caused me to make decisions too quickly and I have recently discovered several instances where this has caused me to miss some really great opportunities to make connections.

This past weekend, I spent time with a man from my recent past. I don't know exactly how long it had been since we had seen each other. Last summer, maybe fall. I know we stopped talking a few months ago when he wanted to date and I wasn't ready for that. And since then, I have missed him a lot. However, I never told him that.

Why don't we tell people how we feel? Why don't we tell people what we are thinking? Why couldn't I tell him that when he came over this weekend, that pressing my lips to his felt like a jolt of electricity to my soul. That when we fell asleep that night, with his body next to mine, I slept better than I had in months. My spirit was calm and my body finally rested.

I awoke the next day and found myself ready to be with him in a way that I wasn't ready for a few months ago. He is no longer in a place in his life where he wants a relationship with me. Our timing is so awful. Did we miss an opportunity to really connect? Or was this just a passing connection? Was this meant to remind me that I need to be more aware of how other's make me feel? I'm not sure which it is but in time I hope to have a better perspective.

Over the last few weeks, while I have been practicing social distancing, I had already begun to think about other times in my life where I made quick decisions about whether to keep people in my life or not. Had I missed other opportunities for a connection? Had I severed connections prematurely? Were there bad connections I was keeping just because I didn't want to do the work needed to move on from them?

The answer is "most definitely, yes" to all of these questions. There I said it. Now what?

Now, I start the process of severing the bad connections. I begin to look at the connections I severed in the past and decide if there is any reason to repair them. If I believe there is, then I will need to find a way to try and reach out to those people to see if they would like to work to reconnect.

Most importantly, I will need to slow down a bit and spend time thinking before making decisions. Also, I am going to need to be more gentle with myself, more understanding of my own baggage, and continue to work at falling in love with the person I have become.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Month Flies By

Mr. Perfect-for-me came into my life and made me realize where all those metaphors, analogies & similes for love came from. I was struck by cupid’s arrow. I have absolutely fallen head over heels. He swept me off my feet. He is my other half, my better half. I could go on and on but I’m sure you get the idea. I don’t want anyone to think that I somehow made it to 41 years of age and got married twice without ever being in love. I have most definitely been in love before. This love feels different. Although the bible would usually be one of the last books that I would quote, I think it captured these last 2 months almost perfectly. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.  ~1 Corinthians 13:4–8a (ESV) After just 2

Attraction

Attraction is a complicated thing for me. Normally, I meet someone and as I get to know them, I find them more and more attractive. Because of this, I have dated all over the looks spectrum. Tall, short, big, small, dark, light, male, female, younger, older, etc. Maybe a handful of times, i have looked at someone that is so physically attractive to me, that I find myself staring.  More often than not, I date men. The reason for this is partially because of where I live. Another reason is that I find confidence very attractive and there is nothing more intimidating to me than a confident a woman.  The other night I was out at karaoke with friends. I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I immediately turned my head in her direction to see what exactly caught my eye. I can't even begin to tell you what was being talked about at our table at that moment because all I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I spent the rest of the evening trying not to stare. I tried to pay att

One Year Ago

One year ago you came into my life. You were everything I thought I wanted. But I wasn't what you wanted. Unfortunately, it took you 5 months to tell me and another 4 to get out of my life. I kept hoping that your heart would change your mind.  How naive was I to think someone like you could possibly love someone like me?  How did I make it to 42 years old still believing in unconditional love? How did I make it through 2 divorces still believing in forever love? How did I survive 3.5 years of being used by strangers and still believe that someone could possibly want more from me than sex? Maybe those questions don't even matter. Maybe the better question is if I ever stop loving you, will I still be able to believe in unconditional, forever love. This morning, I woke up thinking of you. Throughout the day, you were never far from my mind. I know I'll still be thinking about you when I fall asleep tonight.  That's how it has been for the last week. Watching today coming