Skip to main content

Social Distancing is Killing Me

I recently started taking a class online. Its a free class offered by Yale. I watched the introduction to the course and the first lecture. I have taken a few online quizzes that they recommend. The results were not shocking. One quiz told me that I am unhappy. Another agreed with that assessment. The third quiz advised me that one of my greatest strengths is that I love to learn new things.

Both of those things are true. Now, what do I do with that information.

This class is supposed to be about the Science of Happiness. I understand science enough to know that the first 2 quizzes were a way to set a baseline. We will take these again at the end and see if we are happier after taking the course.

My innate curiosity has me wondering just how this Yale professor thinks she is going to teach me how to be happier in 10 weeks. More importantly, I am curious as to whether it will actually help me in the long run.

Most people that know me, think I am a happy person. They think that I am positive and energetic and helpful and supportive. They aren't wrong but they aren't right. I am positive, energetic, helpful and supportive of others. But I am not happy.

  • I do not see positives in my own life.
  • I do not have the energy to do more than just get out of bed most days.
  • I cannot seem to help myself to overcome this.
  • I constantly doubt every action I take, every word I say, and every decision I make.
Earlier today I was texting with a friend and he referenced Voltaire quotes. I had a general idea of who Voltaire was but couldn't say for sure. So I googled him. One of the first quotes I saw was “We are rarely proud when we are alone.” This quote stayed with me through out the day. 

We are currently living in a time when we are spending a lot of time "sheltering in place". For some people, that means spending more time with their family. For other people, that means spending more time alone. For me, I have my son a few days a week but a few days each week I am alone.

These days alone would be considered a gift by some people. For me, it is torture. It gives me too much time to think, to ponder my every life decision. I genuinely feel as though I have never made a good decision in my life. I accept that some things have turned out "Okay" despite the decision I made but mostly I have stumbled through life making one bad decision after another.

I have now spent enough time alone, dwelling on these things, that even when I am communicating with someone else, I cannot stop thinking about it. When I am supposed to be working, my mind is wandering back to my seemingly endless failures. When I am supposed to be cooking or cleaning, I am distracted to a point where productivity is almost non-existent.

Realistically, I can see that some of my decisions might have been bad timing and other decisions I was required to make were a lessor of 2 bad situations. But ultimately, I am the common denominator in each and every decision that I have made and therefore, I believe I am the reason for the bad outcome.

Today, Voltaire's quote kept coming back to me. “We are rarely proud when we are alone.” Read it again. “We are rarely proud when we are alone.” A few hours ago, I remembered something from that first week's lecture; the GI Joe Fallacy: knowing is not half the battle.

I am still not sure what to do with this information. I KNOW that I am not good for myself when I am alone. I know that I cannot see the good in my own life but instead brood over all my life's failures. I know I need people in my life that can keep reminding me of the positive things that are going on around me.

However, spending time with our people is exactly what I cannot do right now. So, I am going to keep pushing my way through this course and hope that I learn new information or skills to help get me through. What other choice do I have?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Month Flies By

Mr. Perfect-for-me came into my life and made me realize where all those metaphors, analogies & similes for love came from. I was struck by cupid’s arrow. I have absolutely fallen head over heels. He swept me off my feet. He is my other half, my better half. I could go on and on but I’m sure you get the idea. I don’t want anyone to think that I somehow made it to 41 years of age and got married twice without ever being in love. I have most definitely been in love before. This love feels different. Although the bible would usually be one of the last books that I would quote, I think it captured these last 2 months almost perfectly. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.  ~1 Corinthians 13:4–8a (ESV) After just 2

Attraction

Attraction is a complicated thing for me. Normally, I meet someone and as I get to know them, I find them more and more attractive. Because of this, I have dated all over the looks spectrum. Tall, short, big, small, dark, light, male, female, younger, older, etc. Maybe a handful of times, i have looked at someone that is so physically attractive to me, that I find myself staring.  More often than not, I date men. The reason for this is partially because of where I live. Another reason is that I find confidence very attractive and there is nothing more intimidating to me than a confident a woman.  The other night I was out at karaoke with friends. I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I immediately turned my head in her direction to see what exactly caught my eye. I can't even begin to tell you what was being talked about at our table at that moment because all I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I spent the rest of the evening trying not to stare. I tried to pay att

One Year Ago

One year ago you came into my life. You were everything I thought I wanted. But I wasn't what you wanted. Unfortunately, it took you 5 months to tell me and another 4 to get out of my life. I kept hoping that your heart would change your mind.  How naive was I to think someone like you could possibly love someone like me?  How did I make it to 42 years old still believing in unconditional love? How did I make it through 2 divorces still believing in forever love? How did I survive 3.5 years of being used by strangers and still believe that someone could possibly want more from me than sex? Maybe those questions don't even matter. Maybe the better question is if I ever stop loving you, will I still be able to believe in unconditional, forever love. This morning, I woke up thinking of you. Throughout the day, you were never far from my mind. I know I'll still be thinking about you when I fall asleep tonight.  That's how it has been for the last week. Watching today coming